30 before 30

In 48 hours I'm going to be 30. I don't know how to feel. Part of me is thrilled to be leaving the 20's behind, moving forward to new and hopefully rewarding things. But there is a part of me that worries I haven't completed everything I needed to complete when I was in my 20's. Funny thing is....it doesn't matter if I feel ready or not! It's happening on April 29, 2016 and I'm determined to move into the new decade of my life with a smile and a sense of closure and accomplishment of where I am at in life. I've learned a lot in my 30 years. I've spent almost 26 years of my life in school, graduating from pre-school, kindergarten, elementary school, middle school and high school. I've earned a bachelors degree followed by an associate degree followed by not one, but two masters degrees. I know a lot of things! But honestly very few of the things that I've learned in school even made my list of 30 things I've learned by 30. Life has been wonderful and hard and exciting and horrible and unimaginable and peaceful. Through it all though I have grown and changed and become me. I haven't done it alone- I want to make that clear. There have been a few key people, especially in the last few years, that deserve a huge award for all they've done to help me get to today. Life isn't always easy, bad days will always pop up, but as I write this I feel really grateful to have the people I have, live in a city I love, and feel like I finally might be able to say I know myself. So here goes nothing....30 things I've learned before 30!

1. When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

2. Humans are highly adaptable. We are more flexible, resilient, and stronger than we imagine.

3. Generosity matters. Giving is one of the greatest things we can do for others and ourselves.

4. Forgive others no matter what they did to you.

5. It’s ok to not follow a conventional path and to ditch the plan you had in mind.

6. Remind people in your life that you love them and appreciate them daily. This not only makes them feel needed and special but it also enriches your sole. Just think about how much a simple text brightens your day and you will never forget to reach out to those who mean the most.

7. Remind yourself, “Be Patient”. Life isn’t a race or about meeting deadlines. Life is about living and sometimes that living looks messy and sad and hard. Be patient with your journey. 

8. Remember to say “Please” and “Thank You”

9. Don’t compare yourself to others, especially their Facebook page.

10. McDonalds has the best Diet Coke

11. Its ok to cry. Emotions aren’t a burden; they teach us what is important to pay attention to.

12. “Me” time is imperative

13. I’m a great driver with a fair amount of road rage. I fit right in on the roads in Boston!

14. Hugs make everything better. I don’t get hugs everyday so I really treasure the ones I do get.

15. Having a small group of amazing friends is enough for me. In fact, my friends have become my people over the last few years. I don’t know what I would do without them. 

16. My bed is my safe place. 

17. I still don’t know what I want and I’m coming to peace with that.

18. Having my heart broken changed my sole. It didn’t just change my relationship status or living situation. It changed who I am, how I make choices, what I find important. It is both the worst and best thing that has happened to me in my life.

19. Cards mean more to me than gifts. Also, cards don’t have to only be connected to birthdays or holidays. A simple “hello” or “I’m thinking about you” card can easily make my week.

20. You’re never too old for board games. Play all of them!

21. Getting paid to teach and being a teacher are entirely different things. Choose to be the teacher your students need.

22. Its ok to ask for help. Let your friends and family build you up. You don’t have to do this thing called life alone.

23. People love you and will show you in their own way. Don’t assume they don’t love you if they don’t show it in the same way you do.

24. Oregon is the magical place where everything made sense. Boston is the place where I learned how to really live life.

25. There is no purpose for snakes, especially ones that swim.

26. Choose love. Use it to guide your decisions, dreams, and goals. Share it with everyone and allow others to feel it coming from you.

27. I respect people who share their honest opinion far more than people who always try to be politically correct.

28. I tend to procrastinate but that works for me!

29. A change of scenery can can often help change your mood. Its amazing what a walk will do when I’m falling apart.

30. You’re doing better than you think. Believe that.

Comments

Popular Posts